The Regional District building bylaw specifies when a permit is required and this includes:
- To construct, alter, or renovate any building or part of a building.
- To finish previously unfinished areas such as basements or enclose a carport or porch area.
- To demolish all, or a portion, of any building or structure.
- To move any building, structure, or mobile home within the Regional District.
- To place on any land, a manufactured or factory-built home or any housing component or modular structure.
- To install solid fuel or oil burning appliances and chimneys.
- To install, replace, or alter any sewer, water, or plumbing works or services.
- To install or alter a swimming pool enclosure/fence.
- To construct or alter a retaining wall.
- To erect any sign or canopy.
A building permit is not required for the construction of a single storey accessory building with a total floor area of less than 10 (ten) square metres (108 square feet), re-siding exterior walls or recovering existing roofs.
Depending on the form of construction, other exemptions may apply to farm buildings.
Please contact the Building Inspection Division (604 702 5016 or toll free 1 800 528 0061) before starting any building project to confirm local Building Bylaw requirements.D